Friday, August 20, 2010

If you truly want to learn anything...

Stop trying to teach children and learn from them.

You know society is still fucked when a little 5 year old Latina is looking at pictures of herself with you on her last day of preschool and says she doesn't like some because she is ugly and fat.

"What?! I think you are always looking beautiful all the time."

Giggles and turns to the next page.

Or when a 4 year old tells you she is ugly today because she has no makeup on.
(I could relate to that feeling and it made me feel even sadder.)

"No! You don't need makeup to be beautiful. You look absolutely beautiful right now!"

She giggles and runs off.

I wonder if my words are enough to permeate or at least dent the brainwashing society has bestowed upon these children who honestly haven't even seen the world and all it's beauty yet.