Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sex Addiction

So I was watching this movie last night on Lifetime called Love Sick: Secrets of a Sex Addict and it made my brain come to the conclusion that sex addiction does not even exist. As does any other addictions.

Addictions stem from insecurity, unhappiness, or any other human emotions. And, yes, I'm well aware that drug addictions cause chemical imbalances within the body making it crave the substance but I believe that any addiction can be overcome with strong will. However, this is not easy to do, not easy at all. That is way so many humans are ravaged by it.

While watching this movie, I could relate with the character. Since I too considered myself a sex addict.

This woman who was called a "sex addict" wasn't at all addicted to sex. It stemmed from her father raping her as a child, her hatred of her marriage, and her unhappiness with her life. All she really wanted was true love and a fairytale romance. She felt that by having sex with all these men she would be loved, which was not the case at all. And even though she repeatedly got hurt over and over by her sexual encounters, she couldn't stop. She needed to change her life.

I could relate to this character's dilemma on a very strong level. Last year I was extremely depressed. Hated myself and what I was doing. I was not addicted to sex. I was trying to fill the emptiness within my soul by using other people.

This was not good at all.
Only you can give yourself true happiness. No one else can.

But now I feel like I'm becoming the person I want to be. I have made many mistakes and repeated them more than once, but I have learned from them.
It has been extremely hard. But I can now look in the mirror and not only recognize myself, but smile a genuine smile.

I think that humans get too caught up in this media controlled, materialistic society.
I am a strong believer that you create your own drama.
It all depends on how you handle a situation, or what path you choose to take, or how strong you are.

Of course, greed, racism, sexism, and straight out corrupt evil do not make humans or the worlds situation any better.

If a true revolution of love is to transpire, it will have to start on an individual level.
Each human being will have to first change their own consciousness...

And that seems more like a dream more and more than anything...